Despite the fact that South Carolina’s senior population exceeds 900,000, the state has relatively few physicians who specialize in the fields of geriatrics and geriatric psychology.
The Geriatric Loan Forgiveness Program is accepting applications until May 19, 2021. To apply, the following information is required:
- A completed Geriatric Loan Forgiveness Program application
- A letter of request that includes the following:
- Statement of intent to open and maintain a practice in the field of Geriatric Medicine or Geriatric Psychiatry in South Carolina, for no fewer than five consecutive years, immediately following completion of your Fellowship;
- Statement of intent to continue to practice in South Carolina at the completion of the five year commitment; and a
- Statement of intent that 60% of patients in the practice will be Medicare recipients age 60 or older
- Student loan statement(s) showing current loan balance(s)
- Three letters of reference (no longer required to be sealed)
- A resume
- A copy of the Geriatric Fellowship Certificate or proof of Geriatric Medicine or Geriatric Psychiatry Fellowship, if the Fellowship has not yet been completed
For consideration, the above documents must be submitted to Kay Taylor Hightower, Esq. (email@example.com) before 5:00p on May 19, 2021.
Established by law in 2005, the Geriatric Physician Loan Forgiveness Program was created to encourage physicians who are completing, or have completed, fellowships in the fields of geriatrics and/or geriatric psychiatry to practice in South Carolina by helping them repay their medical school loans. (South Carolina 43-21-200)
In exchange for the commitment to practice geriatric medicine in South Carolina for at least five years, qualified doctors can receive as much as $35,000 to repay medical school debt.
- It was the first loan forgiveness program for geriatricians in the nation.
- Since its inception, the Geriatric Physician Loan Forgiveness Program has awarded over $600,000 to 22 geriatric physicians and geriatric psychiatrists who have served over 10,000 South Carolinians.
- The Geriatric Physician Loan Forgiveness Program has improved the lives of the approximately 900,000 seniors who reside in South Carolina by incentivizing our nation’s finest geriatric specialists to practice in the state.
Are you an older adult looking for a doctor?
This page has information for doctors and legislators about our agency’s mission and programs. To find medical practitioners for seniors, caregivers, and adults with disabilities, please visit our resource site GetCareSC.com.