Skip Navigation

Resident's Rights Brochure
Printable PDF: Single or Duplex
(For duplex, go to printer properties, make selections,
i.e. 2-sided & flip pages)

Quick Links
Regional Contact Information/Directory
Facility Report
Annual Report

The purpose of the Long Term Care Ombudsman Program is to improve the quality of life and quality of care of all residents in long-term care facilities in South Carolina.

Residents in long-term care facilities are often physically and emotionally vulnerable, facing daily challenges in pursuing a meaningful quality of life. Whenever problems arise, residents or families can call upon an ombudsman for help. Ombudsmen receive complaints about long-term care services and then voice the residents’ concerns to nursing homes, residential care facilities, and other providers of long-term care.

Experience has shown that when residents and families understand the long-term care system, they are able to effectively act on their own behalf when problems occur. By educating residents, families, and facility staff, the Ombudsman Program fosters an understanding and knowledge of the long-term care system. To find out more, you can view the Resident Bill of Rights in English or Spanish (Declarición De Derechos Del Residente).

More information about the differences between abuse, neglect and exploitation, and who to call should you observe any of them, can be found in this two page "Spot Abuse" brochure (small pdf).

The Ombudsman Program is governed by the federal Older Americans Act and by the South Carolina Omnibus Adult Protection Act.

The Lt. Governor’s Office on Aging administers the statewide program through ten (10) regional offices located throughout the state. These programs are located within Area Agencies on Aging and funded with federal, state, and local dollars. There is no charge for services provided by the Ombudsman Program.

Volunteer Ombudsman Handbook
If you are interested in volunteering, there is a handbook on the Volunteer Ombudsman Program (medium sized 335K pdf). If you are interested, call our office.